Grunn is here! Back to basic, solid foundation and unsurpassed tube tone glory. The Grunn tube preamp stems from the same root as Vidur, but kept its focus on the fundamentals to reduce size, cost and complexity. The sound however, retains the same, awesome, uncompromised tone.
The name ‘grunn’ is a multi-layered one. As with all of my other amps, the name is Icelandic. Why Icelandic, since I’m based in the Netherlands? Well, I fell in love with the landscapes of Iceland while on holiday a few years back. Truly beautiful and inspiring. Grunn translates roughly to ‘fundamental’ or ‘reason’, well fitting for this little gem. But, Grunn is álso dialect for the city of Groningen where I’m based. My personal foundation.
Choose your wood!
There are just too many gorgeous species of wood, that are all complementary to this little preamp, so I can’t decide what wood looks best on grunn. The bold, dark chocolate brown of Indian Rosewood, reminiscent of the fretboards on some of the most iconic bases ever made, or the more outspoken, exotic Ovankol, more of a rare beast among basses, yet found on the most exclusive instruments. Take your pick. Want to see your own wood featured on the front panel? Contact me and we’ll figure something out.
Choose your tubes
Different tubes have different sonic signatures. Although very subtle, they give you the opportunity to finetune your sound to taste. The vidur comes standard with Tung-Sol re-issue’s. The optional JJ Electronics perform marvelous as well.
- Tung-Sol (re-issue): warm, big, open and musical (default)
- JJ Electronics: warm, more upfront, bit darker, solid tone
Both tubes are high quality, have very low microphonics and have been tested thoroughly. Prefer your own brand? Please contact me, so we can figure something out.
- Two unique, user-selectable tube sound signatures, a.k.a. mojo
- Extremely low noise
- Single input with multiple padding options to accommodate for very small to extremely big input signals (read more…)
- Flexible line output, capable of driving (very) long leads, with level control, EQ pre/post selector, phase switch and groundlift
- 3-band tone control with 4-band mid frequency selection
- Multicolor and multipurpose LED indicators
- Inline audio path relay switching
- XLR and jack output connectors
- Pop-free, physically muted outputs at turn on/off
- Mains filtering
- Hand built in the Netherlands
- Oh yeah, and it sounds awesome
|input impedance || 1 Mohm (0dB pad), 100k (other pad settings)|
|input padding || 0, -3, -6, -12 dB selectable|
|features || Mute (true bypass)|
| || Two unique, selectable sound signatures (mojo)|
| || Multicolor indicator for mute- and mojo state|
| || |
|type || 3-band baxandall type EQ with 4-way mid-frequency select|
|low || 80Hz shelving|
|mid || +/-10 dB|
|mid frequencies || 200Hz, 350Hz, 550Hz, 800Hz|
|high || 1.2kHz shelving|
|features || True bypass|
| || Multicolor indicator for EQ state|
| || |
|line out || Balanced XLR, capable of driving (very) long leads|
| || Pre/post EQ selectable|
| || Phase selectable (0/180 degrees)|
| || Output level control, +/- 9dB|
| || Ground lift (pin 1)|
|main outputs || 1x Jack unbalanced and 1x XLR balanced|
|output impedance || 600 ohm|
| || |
|tubes || 1x 12ax7 / ECC83, 1x 12at7 / ECC81|
| || |
|mains voltage || 110-120 VAC / 220-240 VAC selectable|
|Dimension || 273 x 42,75 x 240mm (W x H x D, excluding handle)|
|weight || 2,8 kg (9.7 lbs)|